Experiencing psychiatric symptoms is horrible. Many people who try to live with these symptoms every day sometimes feel so discouraged they want to end their lives. Suicide is never a good idea. Why not?
When symptoms are very severe, you may have a hard time making good decisions for yourself. To make it hard to make a bad decision, like ending your life, make suicide hard for yourself by taking these preventive actions:
- Get rid of all the old pills and any firearms you might have around your house.
- Give away your car keys, credit cards and check books when you start to experience symptoms—before they get worse.
There are good people who can help you through these hard times. It may be your family members or friends. Set up a system with them so they will stay with you around the clock when your symptoms are severe. If you don’t have family members or friends who could do this, call your local mental health emergency services and ask them what to do.
The National Hopeline Network 1-800-SUICIDE provides access to trained telephone counselors, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you are suicidal, please read this first.
Mary Ellen Copeland, Ph.D. is an author, educator and mental health recovery advocate, as well as the developer of WRAP (Wellness Recovery Action Plan). To learn more about her books, such as the popular The Depression Workbook and Wellness Recovery Action Plan, her other writings, and WRAP, please visit her website, Mental Health Recovery and WRAP. Reprinted here with permission.
- Can families include non blood related
- Does jojoba oil prevent wrinkles
- What is Garcinia Cambogia Extract
- Who were nice guys girls in history
- Which companies make the best scented candle
- Do you think Alexander Hamilton was bipolar
- Have you ever built a computer
- Did Trump own a model agency
- What happens if thunder is really loud
- Why are so few professionals obese
- How does the train get electricity
- Should I sell my DHFL shares
- How many blood cells do ants have
- How should I relatively safely dose Speedball
- How can normal people become crazy
- What subject did Albert Einstein fail