If you’re scared of flying, you shouldn’t be.
Because your chances of dying in a plane are pretty minimal – compared to other modes of transport.Boats, buses and bites: Why every traveller to Peru should choose 'slow travel'
One in ten of us has a phobia of flying, and it’s not the flying that’s the problem but the prospect of plummeting to our deaths.
But actually, you’re probably safer in a plane than you are in a car (not to freak you out about driving…).
The United States Department of Transportation has shared a load of statistics of deaths via modes of transport – and although they’re obviously concerned with fatalities stateside, we can take some solace from them over here.
Here are the stats for 2015 that prove that plane travel really isn’t risky:
Car crashes are relatively common but the chances of dying in them aren’t. Drivers have a 1 in 114 chance of dying in them, and there’s a 1 in 654 chance of dying as a passenger.
749 people were killed in 2015 due to railroad accidents, with 60% of them being down to trespassing. So train travel is pretty safe unless you decide to have a jaunt along the lines.
There were under 700 boating fatalities in 2015, with 90% of boating deaths being caused by recreational boating – not passenger boats or cruise liners. So unless you’re rowing a dingy to work or across the channel, the chances of the Titanic happening again are pretty minimal.
There’s a 1 in 9,821 chance of dying in the air – making it one of the safest modes of transport. In 2015, around 848.1 million people flew to and from the US…and there were 444 aviation-related deaths. That’s a pretty good margin.
MORE: Gluten-free travellers reveal their best and worst experiences with in-flight food
MORE: 7 surprising challenges of travelling with a disability
- How is TSFC calculated
- What is dark social 1
- Why are there so many toxic players
- Can I take CS50 in one month
- How do you shine your bike
- What causes pimples around my eyes
- Is a destination wedding worth it
- What is the best black ninja game
- How is international mail routed
- How did Native Americans help society today
- What was your sexiest Halloween costume
- Which side is better deck or engine
- What are the bad habits of entrepreneurs
- Who is the most talented French actress?no_redirect=1
- Is trade me grammatically correct
- Why does creatinine increase when GFR decreases
- Have you ever injured yourself during sex
- How does stumbleupon work
- Can two protons attract each other