Thai Green Curry Recipe
Green Curry (Gang Kiew Wan) is one of my favorite Thai recipes.
It’s spicy, aromatic, sweet and savory at the same time. Thai green curry is so delicious, specially when served with steaming white rice.
Other Thai Recipes You Might Like:
What is Green Curry?
If you love Thai food, I am sure you know Thai curries, named after the color of the curry paste used to make the curry, for examples: red curry and yellow curry.
There are also Panang curry, Jungle curry, Massamam curry, etc.
The Ingredients for Green Curry Paste
The green color in the curry paste from fresh green chilies, hence the name green curry.
Here are the complete list of ingredients:
- Fresh green chilies
- Cilantro roots or stems (not the leaves
- Shrimp paste
- Kaffir lime skin and leaves
Curry paste is traditionally made by pounding the ingredients in a stone mortar and pestle until all ingredients become a fine texture.
I usually use instant curry paste from Asian stores, for example: Maesri brand Green Curry Paste.
You can make very good, authentic and absolutely delicious curries using store-bought curry paste.
The secret is to balance the flavors—it has to be spicy, rich and creamy (from the coconut milk), savory (from the fish sauce) and sweet (from palm sugar or sugar).
Sweet, sour, salty and spicy are the four pillars of Thai cuisine. Once you master the perfect balance, you can make just about any Thai food at home!
Green Curry vs. Red Curry
What is the difference between red and green curry?
Other than the color, the difference is the main ingredient used in the curry paste. Red curry uses dried red chilies, hence the red color.
How Do You Make Thai Green Curry Chicken?
Homemade green curry recipe is so easy to make and takes about 15-20 minutes from prep to dinner table.
Here are the list of ingredients you’ll need:
- Chicken – you can use skinless and boneless chicken breasts or chicken thighs
- Thai eggplant. In Thailand, green curry is made with these eggplants, which come in the green color variety and purple color variety. They are small like ping pong balls; they are halved or quartered and cooked in the curry. However, they are not commercially available in the US, unless you grow the tree. As a substitute, most Thai restaurants here use bamboo shoots and my recipe is just exactly like that you get in Thai restaurants.
- Coconut milk
- Fish sauce
- Fresh red chilies
- Kaffir lime leaves
- Thai basil leaves
Image from Etsy.
First, saute the curry paste and then add the chicken. Add the coconut milk, water, bamboo shoots, and all the seasoning ingredients. Cook until the chicken becomes tender and the green curry sauce is slightly thickened.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 388 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with this Recipe?
This meal is best served with steamed rice, preferably Thai rice. For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
Pairs well with:
Green Curry Recipe
Green Curry - delicious and easy Thai green curry with chicken in rich coconut curry sauce. Homemade and authentic, this recipes takes 20 mins and much better than restaurants.
- 1 1/2tablespoonsoil
- 2tbspgreen curry paste, Maesri brand preferred
- 8 ozchicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2cupcoconut milk
- 4ozbamboo shoot
- 5kaffir lime leaves, lightly bruised
- 2red chilies, cut into thick strips
- 1tablespoonfish sauce
- 1tablespoonsugar or palm sugar (preferred)
- 1/4cupThai basil leaves
Heat up a pot over medium heat and add the oil. Saute the green curry paste until aromatic, add the chicken and stir to combine well with the curry paste. Add the coconut milk and water and bring it to a quick boil.
Add the bamboo shoots, kaffir lime leaves, and red chilies. Lower the heat to simmer, cover the pot and let simmer for 10 minutes or until the curry slightly thickens.
Add the fish sauce, sugar, and basil leaves. Stir to mix well. Turn off the heat and serve immediately with steamed rice.
hashtag #rasamalaysia on so I can see your creations!
for more new recipes, giveaways and more.
- Did Albert Einstein fail in Physics
- Cant Islam live in peace
- What is the practical applications of adders
- Will canned water eventually replace bottled water
- How does one become a true Parisian
- Do Software Engineers enjoy their work
- Which are your three badass favorite movies
- Is eating red meatballs that dangerous
- How do you compose neoclassical metal
- What are some achievements of Girish Karnad
- Can world stop Pakistan from supporting terrorism
- How did Jefferson justify the Louisiana Purchase
- Who sketched this of Miranda Kerr
- How do I stop being the worst
- Is Japan xenophobic against Hispanics
- How does BHEL recruit ceramic engineers
- What is the origin of millennium