Common Mistakes People Make After Getting a DUI
By StraightDUI Staff on 12/19/2007
Copyright © 2009 StraightDUI.com
To some people, getting a DUI doesn’t seem to be a big deal, but in fact, it has so many repercussions and consequences that it’s important to know how to protect yourself. Many people make numerous mistakes after getting a DUI and most of those could easily be avoided. A person not only risks loss of their license and potential jail time, but they will also pay much higher insurance rates and risk losing a job. To keep your consequence to a minimum, pay careful attention to the most common mistakes made after a DUI.
Common Mistakes of a DUI
- One of the first and most important mistakes people make after a DUI is not hiring a good DUI attorney to help them through the process. With a good attorney representing the person convicted of a DUI there is a much better chance of having the charges reduced. An individual may think that representing themselves will be a snap, but the officer that arrested them is well trained to get a conviction. So, although a person might think representing themselves is a good way to go, it will most assuredly either get the person convicted or make them pay higher consequences than needed.
- Trying to handle the case on your own is a huge mistake. For example, if a person that had never been arrested were stopped while driving home intoxicated, they would be requested to take a Breathalyzer. After taking the Breathalyzer test, if the person tested over the limit, they might assume that since they are guilty, they should accept a plea agreement. This is a big mistake as the person could ultimately pay thousands of dollars for high-risk auto insurance, plus the conviction on their record could prevent them from renting a car or even getting a job. In addition, it could later be found out that the arresting officer made mistakes, which could have resulted in getting the case thrown out. Had the person hired an attorney to represent them the consequences would have been much less.
- Another big mistake people make after being arrested for a DUI is waiting until the day they are scheduled for court to contact a DUI attorney. Even if the attorney contacted is in the courtroom and prepared to represent the client on the day the person is scheduled to appear in court, they will not have time to discuss the case. In contrast, if a person speaks with an attorney immediately after the arrest, they can explain what happened and give the attorney clues to exactly what happened. An attorney can then evaluate and judge the situation very quickly and determine whether everything was done correctly. In that case, chances of having lesser charges are much greater. Naturally, no one can guarantee that an attorney will get the person off entirely, but it will give that person a much better chance for reduced charges.
- Often people make mistakes after a DUI by taking advice from friends or an associate who may have had previous DUI arrests. Chances are very good that each situation is entirely different and therefore it’s not a good idea to take advice from friends or others who have been convicted of DUI. They don’t know the law and therefore not hiring experienced legal defense is a huge mistake. DUI laws are very complex and therefore it’s important to have a DUI attorney who knows the law.
- Not reporting the DUI to an insurance company is another big mistake, particularly if there was an accident. An insurance policy requires that a person let the insurance company know immediately about a DUI, but caution about any conversation with an insurance agent is strongly advised. Communication with the insurance agent is not privileged communication so it could be used against the person in court. It’s best that the person involved in the DUI contacts the insurance company immediately, but it is recommended that they do not give a statement until they have consulted with an attorney first.
- Missing court appearances is another big mistake people make after a DUI arrest. Unless the lawyer tells the convicted that they are excused from appearing, the person must appear in court after a DUI. If they don’t, the judge will in all likelihood issue a warrant for their arrest, plus any bond that may have been posted will be forfeited, which means the person will probably sit in jail until the case is called. Adding to the already heavy consequences of not appearing in court, the person’s license will also probably be suspended.
- Driving on a suspended license is another big mistake after a DUI. Most people are very dependent on the use of an automobile and so if that person loses their license it will be very painful process for a long time. The temptation to drive on a suspended license is great, but if one takes the chance by driving on a suspended license, they could get pulled over and risk spending time in jail. Not only will they have a longer suspension of their license but they’ll also face added fines and court costs.
So, if you are arrested for a DUI, don’t take chances with your life; hire an aggressive DUI attorney who specializes in this area of the law. Consider all the possible consequences you could face if you make mistakes. When you do, you’ll realize that it’s foolish to put yourself in such a precarious situation. An experienced DUI lawyer can help you navigate through the tricky legal system in addition to explaining your rights and the possible defenses that can help your case. If you have been arrested for a DUI it’s best to get the attention of an attorney who devotes their time to drunk driving cases. Seeking the advice of a good DUI attorney will keep you from making critical mistakes.
About the DUI Attorneys at Straight DUIThe DUI lawyers at Straight DUI do everything they can to help you when it comes to DUI. To get you off, keep your record clean and prevent you from losing your license to drive, we start by believing that you shouldn’t have been arrested, so with that uppermost in our minds, we fight for you. When you place yourself in the hands of the knowledgeable DUI attorneys at straightdui.com, you know you will be treated fairly and will receive the best defense possible. We understand how important a good defense is to your case and so we do everything to protect your rights.Call us at 1 (877) 420-6719 and let us help.
Related Process Articles
» More Process Articles
- How many bowling pin patterns are possible
- What are the best hotels in Chiba
- What will India be like in 2047
- Which are Good cholesterol food
- How many millionaires live in Turkey
- Is Brexit an example of protectionism
- What happened to Minecraft YouTubers
- How did the Meiji government modernize Japan
- What baby monitors work with Amazon Alexa
- What are some string quartet music
- Can I switch off Quora blog posts
- How should men wear their underwear
- What are the branches of internal medicine
- What is the purpose of the F35
- What are the different forms of constitutions
- What is an auditor
- How are graffiti artists usually caught
- Can Bangladesh buy nuclear weapons
- What was your most difficult college course