What Does a Police Officer Do?
In the simplest sense, police officers enforce laws and protect life and property. But of course, there is much more to it than that. Here’s how it breaks down:
Police officers are sworn to protect and serve the communities in which they live and work. They enforce laws, obtain warrants, arrest and interview suspects, secure crime and accident scenes, write detailed reports and testify in court, among other duties. Officers often respond to emergency calls, working shifts that operate around the clock.
The specific duties of a police officer will be numerous and diverse. Based on appointment, length of service and training, they may work with a K-9 unit responding to suspicions of drugs or dangerous weapons in vehicles and other property. Or, they might take a role on the SWAT team where they need to know tactics and procedures for working under dangerous conditions. Much of their daily routine will involve patrolling a certain area, such as a portion of a town or city. As they move up the ranks, they may investigate crimes ranging from petty theft to murder.
Police Officer Salaries & Job Growth
Police Officer Salaries Across the US
Salaries of police officers are based on many factors, including experience, skills and training. However, one of the most important factors is based on geography. Certain areas of the country pay more, but are often in areas that have higher costs of living. For more information about what police officers can make and where they can make it, check out the map below.
- Who is the best mangaka
- Why is the Indian economy not growing
- How does colour analysis work
- What are other countries policies on abortion
- Why has social media destroyed our relationships
- Why is the Zika Virus a threat
- What causes erythema in inflammation
- Does Ali AlShamsi watch Bollywood movies
- What was the first science fiction magazine
- What are the benefits of homemade food
- How many Twitter users are in Liberia
- What is parking like in Hoboken NJ
- What is the motto of Oxford University
- What did Elon Musk accomplish in 2018
- Why do I have trouble remembering faces
- Does Trump sign a paper without reading
- What makes parents trust a teacher
- What motivates you and why 1